Making Things Work Out Right For Me (and that is not being selfish) by Diana Kilgore

Paula’s Note…

Several weeks ago my friend Diana sent me this write up about a book that made a difference. Since she had sent me, two write ups I posted her “Little Engine that Could” piece and save this one for later. Little did I realize then the wisdom of doing that, in fact it wasn’t until I opened this short response that I realized how gracious God is for He prepares us for the unexpected with missives which in their due season He uses to minister His love through others. After you read what Diana wrote, I will explain what I mean. For now, be blessed…


From Diana…

I had little guidance in my life as far as life skills. I was pretty miserable feeling like I was taking one step forward and two steps backward. I had been married about 10 years when a career councilor recommend I read "Feeling Good" by Dr.'s Mernith & Meier. It’s a book about changing yourself though cognitive therapy. More easily put. You determine what is not working for you, where it came from, what you do with it and replace it with some thing that does work for you. This challenging book put a method to things I did that drug me down and made difficulties. I didn't change instantly, unfortunately, but I realized so many things I wanted to change that as I worked on them one at a time I began to free myself. It felt really good. Others noticed a change right away. Some thought it was good, others reacted negatively. This is a process. From time to time I read it just to discover more and encourage myself about how far I've come. I had to buy a new copy because I "loved" it so much.

Paula’s Note…

I love that Diana amended the title to read “And that is not being selfish.” If you are wondering why--and who wouldn’t, it’s because we believers are continually asking ourselves the “Am I being selfish,” question. We seem to want to beat ourselves up as if walking in the truth of Messiah means that we deny what we need. For example, today was a red-letter day for me because I had been waiting to get my editors comments and suggestions. Since I had sent Casa de Naomi – Yearning in the end of October, I was eager to begin working on the text! However, imagine my surprise when I discovered, upon reading her email that after all her work she would not be able to bring the novel to fruition because she was moving closer to her family. At first, I felt disappointed since I was certain this was the editor I was to work with. Then I was worried for her since no one leaves a job their good at and moves close to family unless there is a need. Finally I had to admit that underneath all these concerns I could hear the “Why me,” whine which as a believer I have come to loath. I tried to force that idea away but it would not leave so taking it in as I knew I must I realized that I wasn’t being selfish…I was being human. And being human no matter how much we wish to be like Christ, informs us of the human state from which we, if aware, can minister to others.

I’d like to say that I overcame the lethargy that descended upon me. Yet it was not I that overcame…The Spirit did!

So if you, like me or my friend Diana think your being selfish, think again and remember that if the Lord reinstated John so He could be used how much more will He do through those of us who admit our shortcomings and allow Him it use us…
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment