Diana Kilgore’s “Can I???” touched my heart and I know it will touch yours as well

Paula’s Comment…

I have known Diana longer than any other friend and thought I knew just about all there was to know about her since we have prayed for and supported each other through thick and thin meeting weekly for so many years that neither of us remembers a time without the other. However after I read her story about the first book that mattered, I realized that if we do not ask the right questions those we hold close to our heart and consider dear, remain forever distant to us in areas that matter. As you read I hope her story resonates within your heart as it did mine and causes you to ask those you love questions whose answers will deepen your relationships. Because if we truly believe that God knew everything about us and loved each of us enough to send his son to pray for us as we read in John 17:17-19 “Sanctify them by the truth; your word is truth. As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world. For them I sanctify myself, that they too may be truly sanctified,” then for us to do as Messiah prayed and pray for others to do the same, we need to know each other so we can pray as he did.

I received Diana’s story in two parts and I believe it best to post her story in this manner because it shows that relationships and answers evolve. Although Diana’s answers might sound simple, they are anything but. Enjoy…

Diana’s Book…

A book I loved as a child and still do is "The Little Pony Engine" also know as “The Little Engine That Could.” This is the first book I remember reading over and over when I had just learned to read. "I think I can..., I think I can..." was a very self-empowering and self-controlling phrase for this little girl to learn. When I met a situation that was difficult, I would remember the phrase and it gave me strength. About this time in my life, I needed to be strong. My Dad was overseas in the Korean War and Mom and I missed him very much. I still have my original book torn and taped, which I keep in a safe. I bought a newer copy to read again the story that still encourages me. I love the little train that although its size was small its determination was big enough moment by moment.

Diana’s emailed addition…

What I did not include were the trains that were to busy or proud to help the load of toys that desperately wanted to get to the children who were excitedly waiting their arrival. It just did not seem to flow with such a negative thought. This really influenced me too as I saw these traits in others. I did not like them either. I guess that is why I am a "helper" not a leader. Possibly, because of this influence at such an early age I try where others do not. I find I often succeed eventually and it feels so good to know I did something that was pretty great.

Insight…

Diana ended her missive with, “You might want to insert this aspect, or not. I was sort of in a hurry to get this to you.” A true friend, Diana has given me the option of adding, deleting, or changing what she sent. I love that about her!

As I pondered changing what she sent to make it one unified submission, I realized it might take away from the emotional reaction I had experienced when I read the pieces as written and received. That led me to wonder if I had watered down other things like abhorrent behavior, mine or others difficulties or our Lords Gospel. After all each of us can probably recite John 3:16, which was the first bible verse Diana learned when she was in the first grade. It says, “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.” Yet we leave the best out when we do not add verses 17 – 20 which complete Gods missive to us. "For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son. This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil. Everyone who does evil hates the light, and will not come into the light for fear that their deeds will be exposed.”

Here is the crusted of what I learned from that “Little Engine Who Could,” this time around….Since God has told us that his word is active and will accomplish his purpose, do we, by choosing to shorten his message cause people to misunderstand him. Worse yet, do we create a barrier to the message, which did not exist when it was first preached? These questions from a “Little Book that Could…The Bible,” if only we would not change or shorten the message…
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment