What’s New? By Paula Rose Michelson


It seems the more I try to do some things the more I feel like going out with a friend. Because this is part of the human condition, I am sure that you know what I mean. However, if you live in writer land, which one should never confuse with right handed land, a sort of pervasive malaise can make it impossible for you to make the plans you had planned to make.

Having been schooled at my mothers knee that nothing happens unless you (or in this case me) makes it happen, I became aware that as surely as God breathed the desire to write in me, all I did was write what the characters said. Now facing the dreaded word “MARKETING” I felt that I could make that happen! After all, while still in school, I had sold my parents friends on my artistic talent. They arranged a one woman show for me at their exclusive Rodeo Drive gallery. After I graduated High School, I sold the Los Angeles County Art Museum on the idea of finding me a job, though they did not have an opening. When I met Ron, I sold him on the idea of marrying me. At very job I held I sold my employer on the idea that I was aces. And as everyone who knew me could attest, I was!

However, though I am the author of Casa de Naomi: The House of Blessing Book 1, motivating someone to buy this novel is not about me, but about fulfilling the commission God gave me. By now you probably understand why my mother told me, “You could sell ice to Eskimos!” If you are wondering why I am belaboring my ability to sell you almost anything, it’s because God was, and is, in control. That’s difficult to remember when you’re able to talk almost anyone into something. Yet part of my walk with Messiah is not doing what comes easy to me. Instead, he asks me to be still, watch and see what he will do. By the way, did you ever notice that if you are a whirling dervish of activity, you never see God? I did, and I realized that again over the last few weeks because contrary to all the wisdom I have been granted by sitting at the beloveds feet, I got caught up in the “Must do’s.” You know what they are don’t you? You don’t? Well, if you’re a newly published author, the must list could be so long that it might wrap around the world three times. And what’s on that list might be what needs to be done in one day! I kid you not!!

Gods’ way of doing things might be contrary to popular wisdom. At least that’s what I discovered when much to my chagrin, while at worship; he calmed my agitation and asked me to stop marketing. That’s right! The Lord of the universe told me to chill, and I did. Knowing my disposition, he arranged for me to yield before one of our sisterhood events, and when the moment presented itself, I asked my friends to hold me accountiable to my pledge. They agreed. A tremendous weight was lifted from my shoulders, and I rejoiced.

The following week I watched as one by one, all the marketing issues that I had struggled with were resolved! I was reminded of the verse in Zechariah 4:6 which says, “…Not by might nor by power, but by my Spirit,’ says the Lord Almighty.” This is the verse God gave me for this New Year.

At the start of this New Year, I pray that God quickens a verse to you as well, and that you, like wayward me, find the treasure hidden within that draws you closer to him!  
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment