The Mommy Syndrome, by Paula Rose Michelson


For much of my life…looking back I think it began when I was seven, my job was to take care of others. Though I enjoyed this role my mom foisted upon me, it’s taken several decades to discover how taking care of others meant I seldom told anyone if I needed help or felt ill until I was really needy or sick. Even then I’d try to put others first perhaps because it made me feel good about myself or perhaps because, like my brother, they seemed to need me.

The mommy syndrome served me well until Book One of the Casa Saga was published and I had so many additional ‘Must Does’ on my list that little by little, I began to disappear as I became a person doing instead a person being. A little at a time being an author who needed to tell others about the book God asked me to write seemed to eclipse just being. It was during this time that my posts on this blog became irregular, and though I was saddened to pat my first child on the head as I hurried to post on my Casa de Naomi Reflections blog, I told myself that the blog for the book had to be posted because the url for that blog was on the back jacket of the book!

Little did I know that it would take a six month undiagnosable illness, which had me almost bedridden for me to discover that my water purification system had algae growing in it! A quick email to my Osteopathic Doctor confirmed that this system made up of living rocks and minerals which supposedly did not need a new filtration system, was indeed the source of my illness.

Thinking it best to throw the entire unite out, my husband did that before the doctor told me that we needed to keep everything as it was because if I did not feel better the lab would grow that particular algae culture to find out what would kill it and not me! Having a limited income and insurance plan, I decided to take a wait and see approach, which was, I believe best, given the reality that I’d taken a lot of medications and all of them weekend me.

It’s taken me three additional months to get back most of my energy! Where before I gladly though of others before myself, as I had been trained to do, now I find that I need to Mommy Me!

If your life revolves around the ‘Mommy Syndrome’ I pray you remember King David’s    admonish to his son in 1 Chronicles 28:9And you, my son Solomon, acknowledge the God of your father, and serve him with wholehearted devotion and with a willing mind, for the Lord searches every heart and understands every desire and every thought.


Until we meet again,
May you experience God in all you think,
Do and say… today and everyday!

Shalom, my friend
Category: 0 comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment